Professional Doll Making by Jack Johnston
Award-winning doll artist and teacher Jack Johnston shows aspiring doll makers how to build their own business: from establishing a business and marketing plan to developing a line of dolls, finding suppliers, exhibiting at shows, online promotion, and more!
Sections in this book include …
Johnston’s life story from artist in college to Vietnam to a 20-year graphics art career in marketing.
- Why and how he chose doll making as a career
- The beginning of Johnston Original Art Dolls
- The founding of the Professional Doll Makers Art Guild
- Developing the ProSculpt Polymer Clay Company
Marketing How To …
Advice from this longtime professional marketer on how to do it right.
- How to develop a marketing and feasibility plan
- How to determine a market mix
- How to develop prototypes of line of dolls
- How to develop a website strategy
- Why you need to consider a weekly newsletter
- Writing articles for magazines, produce videos and write books
- How to get free publicity
What’s worthwhile when it comes to travel, seminars, workshops and classes?
- Booking seminars and workshops
- Teach classes Beginning, Advanced, and Professional
- Sponsor competitions at conventions, shows, guilds and club events
- Attend doll shows, fairs, craft shows
- Display your products and promote supplies and classes
- Promote your reputation with fellow artists by lecturing at shows
Business Plan Outline
A template you can use to build your own business plan.